Yum! Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. This cheesecake is truly decadent. Smooth, creamy cheesecake surrounding brownie bites smothered in rich chocolate. Really. What is not to love?
All the steps to this cheesecake may seem overwhelming, but it really is quite simple. This was the first cheesecake I have ever made and I have and will continue to make it again and again. It is perfect for when you are entertaining guests or just your family. While it may not be the most super healthy dessert, it is homemade. I like to make sweet treats on occasions. I believe everything should be in moderation. So go ahead and make it and savor each bite!
Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup ( 1 and 1/2 sticks of butter )
1 3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of flour
Chocolate Crumb Crust
1 1/2 cups of finely ground cookies or graham crackers
5 tablespoons of butter, melted
1/3 cup of sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
3 ( 8 ounces each ) of cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of chilled brownie cubes ( from recipe above )
1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of cream
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
1. For the brownies, Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13×9 inch pan with aluminum foil and let it hang over the sides. Grease the foil. In a microwave safe bowl heat the butter and chocolate on high for 1 minute. Stir and repeat process on 50 percent power until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in the sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla, blending well. Then add flour and salt. Stir to mix well. Spread in prepared pan.
2. Bake the brownies for 28- 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs ( do not over bake! ) Cool the brownies in the pan or wire rack. Once cool use the foil handles to remove brownies from pan and refrigerate until chilled. Once chilled cut into 1 inch cubes. refrigerate brownie cubes until ready to fold into cheesecake. ( You will have more brownies than needed for recipe so do what you like with those yummies).
3. For the crust, stir together the crust ingredients. press in the bottom a 10 inch springform pan and up 1 inch the sides. Refergerate up to 2 hours until ready to be used.
4. For the cheesecake filling, preheat oven to 350.
5. With an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer beat the softened cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then sugar and vanilla. Make sure you incorporated each ingredient and scrap down the sides of the bowl between each addition.
6. Fold brownie cubes in very gently and pour into prepared pan. Place the springform pan on a larger baking sheet and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or cake is set 3 inches from the sides and a little jiggly in the center.
7. Cool the cheesecake completely in the sprigform pan on a wire rack. When cool glaze the top with the ganache.
8. For the ganache, scald ( heat just below boiling ) the butter and cream in a sauce pan or a microwave safe bowl. Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl and pout the butter/cream on top. Let sit for 1-2 minutes. Stir the mixture together until completely smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Spread over the cheesecake and chill until ready to serve.
9. To serve, unmold the springform pan. Cut into slices and serve.
Recipe source: adapted from Smitten Kitchen