This has become one of my favorite meals using lemons! It is a great time of year to make this dish since lemons are in season and on sale.
Parmesan and garlic crusted chicken cutlets in a lemony butter sauce makes this meal delectable. This particular recipe makes it a little easier since you start it in the skillet and finish it off in the oven ( makes for more tender juicy chicken ). You can serve this over the pasta of your choice and with whole grain crusty bread. You can even add some roasted or steamed veggies to help soak up all that sauce. This truly is a delicious weeknight dinner!
2 thick boneless skinless chicken breasts, filet
1 cup of flour ( I used white whole wheat )
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
6 gloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of milk
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
Juice from two lemons
1 tablespoon of olive oil
6 tablespoons of butter
1 3/4 cup of chicken broth ( homemade or store bought )
1 tablespoon of dried parsley or 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place the flour with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a shallow baking dish
3. Mix the milk eggs and parmeasan cheese together in a separate bowl.
4. Dredge the chicken cutlets in the flour then the egg mixture and back in the flour.
5. Heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Add the chicken cutlets one by one. Let them cook on the first side about 2 minutes without moving them so the coating does not come off. Carefully flip the chicken with a wide splatua and let cook on the other side for 2 minutes.
6. Transfer chicken to a 13×9 inch baking dish and wipe out skillet.
7. Melt 5 tablespoons of butter on low heat and add the garlic and cook until fragrant ( about 30 seconds ). Then add in the chicken broth. Simmer for a few minutes. ( If you want a thick sauce now is the time to thicken it up ) We eat it just how it is!
8. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Then add parsley.
9. Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: adapted from the Food Network