This bread is absoulutely delicious! Once you make it you will never want to go back to store bought.
This recipe for French bread is easy and will never fail you. This French bread you can take to family gatherings and know it will be gobbled up. If you love to bake bread ( like I do ) then this needs to go on your must try soon list. It is a perfect side to Italian dishes or even with soup. This recipe is great because as you stir it down every 10 minutes it actually is like the first rise, then the final rise does not take long at all.
Even if you are new to baking your own bread don’t let this bread intimidate you. It really is easy. This bread is soft and tender. Not crusty like authentic French bread, but definitely worth baking yourself! I can’t help but tell you that we have this bread in our house at least once a week.
I have adapted the original recipe so if you choose you can use all whole wheat flour and it still be fluffy, but the recipe taste good as well if you use all white flour.
French Bread with a Whole Wheat Option
Note: This bread freezes beautifully so wrap one in parchment paper and then plastic wrap to use at a later time.
2 1/4 cups of warm water
2 tablespoons sugar or honey
1 tablespoon of instant yeast
1 tablespoon of salt
2 tablespoons of oil ( I use coconut oil or melted butter )
5 1/2 to 6 cups of flour ( I use whole wheat ) and you may not need it all
* If using whole wheat add a 4 tablespoons of wheat gluten
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a bowl or bowl of a stand mixer add water, yeast add sugar.
3.Add the salt, oil and 3 cups of flour and start mixing.
4. Add the rest of the flour gradually. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes. The dough should clear off the sides of the bowl but still be a little sticky.
5. Once dough is soft and smooth let it rest for 10 minutes. Turn on mixer or use a wooden spoon and stir for 10 seconds. Do this 5 times.
6. Turn the dough on a lightly greased surface and divide into 2 equal portions. Roll each part into a 9×13 rectangle and roll up starting at the long side.Pinch seams to seal.
7. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper and let rise until doubled then slash 3 to 4 times
8. Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Recipe source- The Sisters Cafe