These dinner rolls are super easy and really yummy!
I am really excited to share with you these rolls! These dinner rolls are perfect for any occasion but with Easter almost here I wanted to give you a tried and true roll recipe. I make these every week! They can be shaped into the all- American dinner rolls, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, and even sub rolls. These rolls even freeze great. Just wrap each roll in plastic wrap and then put in a freezer safe bag. When ready to use just pop in the microwave for a couple of minutes or you can just let them thaw on the counter ( I have done both multiple times )
The all white flour version tastes so delicious ( and like dessert ), but I have been successfully making the whole wheat version and they are truly delicious and fluffy. Thanks to the special ingredient of wheat gluten there does not have to be any white flour at all. So, if you love having whole grain rolls without it looking and feeling like a brick this recipe will be a life saver!
Fluffy and Soft Dinner Rolls
1 1/2 cups of warm water
3/4 Tablespoon of yeast
2 Tablespoons of sugar
2 Tablespoons of melted coconut oil or melted butter( or oil of your choice )
1 teaspoon of salt
3- 4 cups of flour
* if using whole wheat add in 1/4 cup of wheat gluten
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl if doing by hand, add warm water, yeast, sugar, oil, salt, 2 cups of flour ( add the wheat gluten if using all whole wheat ).
2. While mixing gradually add in the rest of the flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl. The dough should be soft and smooth but still tacky to the touch ( too much flour will make the rolls dense )
3. Knead the dough for 7 minutes in the mixer and 10 to 12 minutes by hand. The dough will absorb the liquid and if it seems too sticky you can always add more flour a tablespoon at a time.
4. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and put the dough in the bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Let it double ( 1-2 hours )
5. Lightly punch down the dough . Roll or pat dough into a 9x 13 rectangular and then roll up into a cylinder. Cut into a even 12 pieces ( start by cutting in half and sectioning it out so they are even) Roll each into a ball.
6. Place each roll an inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled about 45 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 12- 14 minutes.
Recipe source: All recipes French bread rolls