We have enjoyed these now for a while. We have had them as a main dish with a side ( which you can do ) or as a delicious sandwich. The sandwich version is what we prefer. I love sandwiches. They are just so yummy. They are filling and easier to eat. Make for an easy weeknight meal or for a family and friend barbecue.
This recipe is different from others I have had because it does not have barbecue sauce in it, but uses and honey mustard marinade. Honey mustard and chicken go delicious together. Also, you top this with pepperjack cheese and crispy bacon. What is there not to like? This recipe is so close to the original Bonanza steakhouse recipe. there is one component which makes it a little different which is the pico de gallo you spoon over top. This whole sandwich is something you will want to make again and again.
Monterey Chicken sandwiches
1/2 cup of Dijon
1/4 cup of honey
salt and pepper
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts ( cut down in the middle horizontally )
4 slices of applewood smoked bacon
4 slices of pepper jack cheese
4 1/2 inch slices of red onion
1. Whisk mustard, honey, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup of honey mustard mixture for basting chicken. transfer the rest of the mixture to a gallon Ziploc size bag.
2. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally and place in the bag to marinade for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour.
3. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Let cool on paper towels.
4. For a grill, Turn all the burners on high and heat grill until hot about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and turn other burners to medium. Clean and oil cooking grate.
5. Push a toothpick horizontally through each onion slice to keep them intact. Brush onion slices with olive oil and place on the cooler side of the grill. Place chicken on the hotter side of the grill. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Flip onion slices and chicken. Brush chicken with reserved honey mustard mixture. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until done and lightly charred.
6. Remove onion slices from grill and move chicken to cooler side. Separate onion slices. Top chicken with onion slices, cheese, and bacon. cover and cook until cheese is melted. Transfer chicken to platter and tent with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes
7. If you don’t have a grill. Heat oven to 425. On a rimmed baking sheet place onion slices on the sheet and brush with olive oil. Pan fry the chicken in a little olive oil. They wont cook all the way just get it nice and brown. you might need to do 2 at a time. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and roast for 5 to 8 minutes. flip chicken and brush with remaining honey mustard mixture and roast 5 minutes more or until done.
8. separate onion slices. Top chicken with onion slices cheese, and bacon. Put in the oven just until the cheese melts. Let rest for 5 to minutes.
9. Place finished chicken on whole wheat hamburger bun and top with pico de gallo. Serve and enjoy!
Pico De Gallo
3 tomatoes cored and chopped
salt and pepper
1/4 cup of red onion chopped
1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno chile, stemmed seeded, and minced
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 garlic clove minced
Toss the chopped tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoon of salt in bowl. Transfer to a colander and let drain for 30 minutes. Combine drained tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, and garlic in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.