Pasta is a mainstay and our house. I like pasta. My husband likes pasta. Also, pasta is kid-friendly. I have been looking for the perfect recipe for a different take of alfredo sauce. This was the perfect recipe to celebrate our anniversary! He declared this was the best I have ever made and it truly is. I love the creamy garlic sauce over just whipping cream and butter.
I have tried so many different ways to make this. Making a roux with flour and butter. Adding chicken broth and milk. The only way that my family has truly loved this dish is with the cream cheese added in to make it super creamy. The way that I make this more healthy and lighter on calories without losing flavor is use whole grain pasta, lean chicken and fresh broccoli along with a good quality of parmesan cheese. This recipe is super easy to make just like if you were using the cream and butter. Also, if you use the marinade of buttermilk and rosemary for your chicken it takes up the flavor even more. My husband could eat alfredo pasta every week. Now, I can be confident I am serving my family a healthy meal as well as truly delicious. Go ahead and try this with your family and see how eating healthy is truly delicious!
Here is a pic of us on our anniversary as we almost ran out of gas in a truck that the air conditioning was having problems and going a snail pace in down town traffic, but it was a great day!
For the Grilled Buttermilk and Rosemary Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 quart of buttermilk
5-6 rosemary sprigs
1. place chicken in a Ziploc bag and cover the chicken with buttermilk and add the rosemary. Marinade over night ( 8 to 10 hours )
2. Preheat grill to medium high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and let excess buttermilk drip off. Grill chicken for 4 to 6 minutes on each side. When cooked through tent with foil until ready to use.
For the Creamy Alfredo Pasta
Note: You can use 1/3 fat cream cheese, but it won’t be as smooth. Make sure you toss the pasta and broccoli in the sauce so it is thoroughly coated. It truly makes a huge difference. Also, many times my husband likes it extra saucy so I double it. Which I put in parenthesis.
9 ounces of whole wheat fettuccine ( or pasta of your choice )
3 cups of broccoli florets
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter ( 6 )
3 garlic cloves, minced (4 )
4 tablespoons of softened cream cheese cut into 1 inch cubes ( 8 )
1 up of milk ( 2 )
1 cup of parmesan cheese ( 2 )
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1. Boil pasta in salted water according to the package directions. Add the broccoli in for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Crain in colander and reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.
2. In a large pan, melt butter and then add garlic. Cook until fragrant about 30 seconds. Add in the cream cheese and stir vigourlously until mixed. It will look funny but don’t worry it will come together at the end.
3. Add in the milk and chicken broth. Stir until smooth. Add in the parmeasan cheese and stir until melted. Add in the pasta and broccoli. You might have to add the cooking liquid to get the consistency you want.
4. Cut the chicken in slices on the slant and toss into the pasta. Serve immediately.