Nothing says summer like grilling and salad. This particular salad is delicious!
Before summer has gone by I wanted to give you a summer salad recipe!When you pair grilled steak with tender radicchio and smoky poblano pepper it becomes a hearty main-course meal. You don’t always have to have steak and potatoes when you get a craving for grilled steak. this steak dish is light and satisfying ( even for your husband ) and so easy to throw together ( which makes for a great quick weeknight meal ). Don’t worry the hot and cold play off edch other with the grilled meaty steak and the cool crispness of the greens.
On a side note, the original recipe calls for skirt steak but I always just use the cut of steak that is on sale and it turns out just as delicious. Also, if your concerned about it not being filling enough you can always bake some kind of bread to go along side it.
Grilled Steak Salad
1 red onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, grated
2 pounds of skirt steak or what you prefer
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 poblano pepper
1 small head of radicchio ( about 6 ounces )
2 cups of baby mixed greens
3/4 cup of crumbled feta
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
Red- Wine Oregano vinaigrette
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, minced
2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. To prepare the onions. Put them in a small bowl and add the vinegar, oil and garlic. Set aside at room temperature and allow to marinade for 15 minutes
2. To prepare the steak. Lay the steak flat on a baking pan and season evenly on both sides with the chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature so the flavors can sink in a bit.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat. rub the grill with oil to prevent sticking. Place the pepper on the grill and cook until the sin is charred and black on all sides rotating it as it cooks. When cool enough to handle pull off the skin and stem. Spilt the pepper, scrape out the core and seeds. Cut into 1/4 inch strips and set aside.
4. Drain the onions from the vinegar mixture. Lay the onion slices on the hot grill for 2 minutes turning often, until charred on both sides. Remove the onions from the grill and coarsely chop.
5. Discard any limp leaves from the radicchio. Quarter the radicchio through the stem end. Cut the core out, and crosswise into 1 inch pieces. Put the radicchio in a large mixing bowl, add the greens, grilled pepper and onion, steak, feta and vinaigrette. Toss to combine and serve.