This skillet meal has been a staple in our house for a while now. I thought it was about time to go ahead and share the recipe with you.
I like making this for dinner for two reasons. First, it is a skillet meal so it is quick and easy to cook and clean up. It is perfect for those days when you are busy, yet want a delicious meal. Secondly, this recipe is healthy! Putting the broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes right in the pasta helps every one eat their veggies at meal time. I actually found this recipe in the Americas Test Kitchen healthy cooking cookbook. My family always enjoys this dish and I think your family will too! The picture does not do it justice.
Skillet Chicken Pasta with Broccoli and Sun-dried Tomatoes
2 to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium onion minced
4 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
12 ounces whole wheat penne ( or gluten free or regular )
3 cups water
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
4-5 cups of broccoli florets
1/2 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped
3/4 heavy cream
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Season the chicken with slat and pepper. Heat a 12 inch skillet until hot and rippling. add the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. cook until softened about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add the pasta, water, and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook stirring occasionally until the water is thick and syrupy and almost completely absorbed about 12 to 15 minutes ( depends on what type of pasta you are using ). there should be a little bit of liquid in the bottom and the pasta should be tender.
- Add the broccoli and sun- dried tomatoes to the skillet and stir it all in. Cover the skillet and reduce heat to medium and cook until the broccoli is bright green and tender about 3 minutes. While the broccoli cooks whisk the cream and cornstarch together.
- Uncover the skillet and add the cream, parmesan, and chicken with all the juices and continue to cook until the chicken is heated and mixture is thick about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Off the heat add in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with extra parmesan cheese if desired.