These sandwiches have become a dinner I make a lot. My husband requests for me to make these every week. They are just so yummy!
We really like to eat at Schlotzsky’s deli, but it is not always practical and these sandwiches taste so much better homemade! These are kind of like the fiesta chicken sandwich you can get at Schlotzsky’s other than I use these delicious homemade chewy Italian rolls for the buns. These rolls are baked with a garlic sauce and cheese and chicken and then topped with chipotle mayo, roasted red peppers, lettuce, tomato, and onion. These sandwiches are delicious and you can’t go wrong making these for dinner tonight!
Zesty Chicken Sandwiches
Note: My husband prefers these sandwiches on the chewy Italian rolls more than other recipes for sourdough bread I have tried, but feel free to use whatever you would like.
Yield: 4 to 6 sandwiches
For the garlic sauce
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon raw sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the chipotle mayo
1 small chipotle pepper minced, plus a teaspoon of the adobo sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
For the sandwich
1 recipe of chewy Italian rolls
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 recipe of garlic sauce
1 recipe chipotle mayo ( see above )
1 jar roasted red peppers, julienned
1 pound chicken, thinly sliced
1/2 head of lettuce, shredded
1 tomato, sliced
1/4 red onion sliced
- If you are going to make the chewy Italian rolls then you need to start preparing the night before. Finish the recipe the next day and have the bread all ready for assembling the sandwiches.
- Make the garlic sauce. Mix the melted butter, olive oil, and vinegar together. Add the parsley, sugar, salt, and garlic and mix until combined. Set aside
- Make the chipotle mayo. In a food processor combine the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce with the mayonnaise and pulse until completely combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the sandwiches. preheat the oven to 375.
- Slice each roll horizontally and generously coat each side with garlic sauce. On top of the roll add 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and the bottom add 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. (We also like to heat the chicken in the oven while the bread is baking) Remove from oven and spread the cheese the cheese evenly over the roll with a spatula
- Cover the bottom of the roll with chipotle mayo, sprinkle with a few green onions. Continue to cover the sandwich with equal portions of red peppers, chicken, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Cover with remaining top halves. Serve and enjoy. We always eat our with dill pickles.