This flatbread is so yummy!
These delicious flatbreads are worth the little extra effort to make at home. Even if you don’t like greek food ( like my husband ) you will enjoy these. They are so fluffy and soft. They are versatile and easy to make.
If you do enjoy Greek food these are perfect for wrapping up gyros and even greek tacos! Which by the way I have a delicious greek taco recipe coming next week. These flatbreads are something you will wamt to make again amd again
Soft Greek Flatbread
Note: This flat bread can be cooked and frozen for later use
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon raw sugar
2/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk ( not hot to tpich or it will kill the yeast )
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 tablespoons wheat gluten
1. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix the yeast, sugar, water, milk, oil, and salt with a cup of flour and 1 tablespoon of wheat gluten
2. Gradually add the rest of the flour and wheat gluten until a dough is formed. Knead 6 to 8 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. You want the dought to be slightly sticky.
3. Put dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm place until doubled. It will take about 1 hour.
4. Punch the dough down. Divide into 6 to 8 pieces and cover. Let it rest for about 10 minutes so it will be easier to roll out.
5. Heat up your skillet on medium heat. One at a time roll each piece of dough out into a 6 to 8 inch circle on a floured or greased countertop and cook on the skillet for 2 to 3 minutes on one side until puffy and bubbly and then flip and cook until golden and spotty abut 2 to 3 minutes more.
6. Place finished bread on a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm.Repeat with all the remaining pieces of dough. If you have a ectric skillet you can do more than one at a time.