This cornbread is crispy on the edges and soft in the center. It is truly our favorite cornbread.
With all the zucchini you may have from your garden or just a way to use it up if you bought it on sale at the store this is perfect! I tried having a garden last year and I enjoyed it, but with my kids being still little I did not keep up with it as well and we did not use all that it produced. I think when they are a bit older and eat more variety I will try my hand at it again. Just a little side note about my summer, but I definitely buy it at the store since it is the season for it and I use it up for this recipe. This cornbread is kind of a staple around our table ( like biscuits ). It is specked with green flakes, but if you prefer just peel the zuchinni before grating it and you won’t even know it is in there!
For this recipe I took a delicious sweet cornbread recipe and adapted it a bit to have the zucchini in it. It does not change the flavor any just adds some moistness. You will not be disappointed with this recipe and it will become your go-to recipe. Even if your not a baker I am sure that having homemade cornbread is worth the extra measuring. your family will thank you.
( With this recipe I always use 1 cup of white whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of unbleached flour to go along with the cornmeal, but just using all- purpose flour tastes wonderful too. Use whatever you like, but if you are wanting to do whole grain I promise you will not be disappointed with the wheat since the zucchini adds such moistness. Also, if you like your cornbread to taste like cake add 2/3 cup of sugar. ) Baking and cooking is wonderful because you can play around with it to get it the way your family likes it! Lots of options
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup raw cane sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 medium zucchini
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1.Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8×8 pan.
2. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. combine very well.
3. Crack eggs into a medium bowl and beat well. Pour in the milk and cream, mix to combine.
4. Wash and trim ends off zucchini and peel if desired. Grate the squash. Using your hands gather up the grated zucchini and squeeze out excess liquid. Place the grated zucchini in measuring cup. It should be about 1/2 cup.
5. Add the dry ingredient to the egg mixture and stir to combine. Fold in grated zucchini, followed by melted butter. Mix just until combined. Add to the prepared pan
6. bake cornbread for 30 to 35 minutes ( until the toothpick inserted in the meddle comes out clean.