Macaroni and cheese is one of those classic comfort foods that seems to be requested around the family table. This is one that will be gobbled up and you can be happy knowing you are feeding your family well. This recipe uses whole wheat macaroni and a whole butternut squash ( one vegetable I can not get my family to eat even though it is one of my favorites ).The squash acts like a roux so you don’t have to whisk one together with butter and flour. I love to make this using the white cheddar guyere cheese that you can buy at Trader Joes, but for those of you who can’t get that blend of cheese use guyere cheese ( itmelts wonderfully ) or just plain cheddar cheese works when your in a pinch.
Also, it you like to have a casserole ready to bake from the oven this recipe freezes well so go ahead and make two now and save one for a busy night.
Cheesy Butternut Squash Macaroni
Note: If you want to make this lighter use a cup of evaporated milk with 1 tablespoon cornstarch stirred in or you can use fat free half and half
1 small butternut squash about1 1/4 pounds
2 teaspoons sea salt,divided
3 cups whole wheat macaroni
1 cup half and half
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups guyere cheese, shreeded
1/2 cup chedaar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scopp out the seeds. Arap both pieces individually in foil androast in the oven on a baking sheet for about 1 hour or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil andseason with a teaspoon of salt. Add the macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta and spread out on a baking sheet to cool ( so it does not clump together )
- Pour the cream into the samt pot. Scoop the out flesh out of the skins of the squash with a spoon and add to the cream.
- Over low heat whisk the cream and squash together until incorporated. The sauce may be a little lumpy. Add remaining salt and the pepper. Add the guyere cheese. Cook whisking constantly until the cheese melts and is stringy.
- Add the pasta and stir to coat. Sprinkle with remaing cheddar cheese. Bake the casserole for 15 minutes.
- If you plan to freeze put in a freezer- to -oven safe container andsprinkle the cheese on top and wrap in plastic wrap. Bake frozen at 400 for 20 minutes.