These classic snowball cookies are perfect for your Christmas tray!
Have you planned all of your holiday baking yet? If you are still working on it these are a must make! These almond snowball cookies are cute little crumbly butter cookies dredged in powdered sugar. They are super easy and so tasty!
These cookies do use powdered sugar and so they are a once a year treat for us! You can definitely use organic powdered sugar but they will not be snowball cookies without them. Like I have said before I do try to make my treats with honey or maple syrup, but some occasions call for a little splurge and these are delicious! I have never had these before, but once I made them they were a big hit with the family. It will definitely be a new tradition for our Christmas cookies!
These almond snowball cookies melt in your mouth and you will enjoy baking and eating these.
Note: You can use whole wheat pastry flour instead of the all purpose flour and wheat flour. I think next time I am going to use 1/2 cup honey in the dough and just roll the cookies in powdered sugar!
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl stir together the flours, ground almonds and salt until combined. Cream the butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, almond and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Form the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and dredge the cookies in powdered sugar. Place cookies on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled dredge in powdered sugar again.