This is a simple, one skillet meal!
Like I have said before I am loving simple and one pan meals lately. Not that I don’t love baking my own bread and a big Sunday supper and even have recipes that take a bit more time when company’s coming, but some days call for a simple healthy meal that my family will eat. I have been reading ( like a book ) from cover to cover many cookbooks that have come out recently on easy, weeknight dinners and this one does not lack in the flavor department!
In this skillet meal rice is simmered with chicken sausage, garlic, and lots of chicken broth. so, the rice is infused with lots of flavor. The peas, green onions and parsley add a fresh flavor that lightens this hearty meal.
I have not mentioned lately anything about eating healthy, but I am still cooking and eating more true whole grains ( like brown rice ) leaner meat ( chicken sausage ), and vegetables ( peas, but carrots and broccoli are wonderful as well ). Chicken broth has many health benefits as well as garlic. If you have not tried chicken sausage you need to try it once! I enjoy the flavor of smoked sausage and was always hesitant to buy some chicken sausage since it is a little more expensive. I have to tell you it tastes better than it sounds. You will be happier with the less fat and calories. If you have a night where you are really busy and you know it is hard to make dinner you need to try this recipe! this healthy and delicious recipe will not disappoint!
Skillet Garlicky Rice with Sausage and Peas
Note: The amount of salt needed is determined by the chicken broth used. If you use homemade just add salt to taste before serving. You do not have to use jasmine rice any long grain rice will work. Just remember that brown rice does take longer. Also, smoked sausage can be replaced for the chicken sausage. You can also add a 1/2 cup of cheddar or parmesan at the end if you want cheesy rice.
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 gloves garlic, minced
16 oz chicken sausage
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups of brown rice ( jasmine or normal )
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 oz frozen peas
4 green onions, sliced thin, about 1/2 cup
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup shredded cheese ( optional )
- Warm the oil in a large, deep sided skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute, stirring for about 1 minute
- Add the sausage and continue to cook stirring frequently until browned on the edges about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, rice, granulated garlic and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered with a lid. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes 9 unless using white rice or parboiled rice then 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and add salt to taste. Stir in the peas, green onions, and parsley. The peas will thaw and warm in a couple of minutes
- Add a bit of cheese if wanted and serve.
Recipe Source: Weeknight Dinner cookbook