These breadsticks can be a great addition to any meal!
Do you like to have warm bread with your dinner? If you don’t have a lot of time these are made in just about an hour! They are absolutely delicious. Since they are so fast we make these a lot! They are yummy and adaptable to taste preference. Add whatever herbs you like or lots of garlic, or just use extra butter whatever suits your family!
If you know me you know I love to bake and I am constantly baking French bread loaves, but these are great for when you don’t have a lot of time but want to bake something to go with that pasta or rice dish. They don’t look that pretty….maybe they should be called ugly breadsticks, but the taste tells that they are worth making. My family really likes these buttery golden wheat breadsticks and I do too!
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 cups of flour ( I use 2 cups whole what and 1 to 2 cups unbleached all purpose)
4 tablespoons of melted butter on baking sheet
Dried herbs, garlic salt and parmesan cheese
- In an electric mixer fitted with dough hook. Mix the warm water, yeast and sugar, and salt. Add the flour a cup at a time until dough comes together. You want it a bit sticky.
- Let the dough rest in the bowl for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 and melt the butter on the baking sheet, don’t let it burn! Or just do in the microwave and pour on the pan
- On a greased countertop roll the dough into a 11×17 rectangle. Using a pizza cutter cut the dough into strips about every inch ( or more which I usually do ).
- Twist each piece lightly and place on the baking sheet. Top with herbs of choice ( I like basil and oregano ) garlic salt, and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise for about 20 minutes. then, bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden on top.
Recipe source: Carslbad Cravings used less butter on pan