This Honey Whole Wheat bread is a simple no-fail recipe.
I have tried many bread recipes ( and even have posted one before ), but I have made this bread several times and it never fails to come out beautifully. Some recipes I have tried the bread never gets a nice rise to make sandwiches or the bread is crumbly the next day. Not this one! It truly will be your go to recipe. It is simple and delicious. It is the ultimate Honey Whole- Wheat sandwich bread that has equal amounts of butter and honey to keep it soft.
Many years ago I switched to baking my own bread instead of buying it. It truly saves some money and we actually prefer the taste of homemade to store-bought. But, if bread making is not your thing you will definitely want to try this bread for special occasions or elegant dinners. It truly is the best right out of the oven with a bit of butter smeared on it. It does not matter if you are baking this bread for dinner, to pack sandwiches for lunch, or to enjoy as toast for breakfast you will not be disappointed.
On a side note if you are new to bread baking and have any questions feel free to ask in the comments! I may just be able to help you. Also, I am hoping to add some new things to this blog this fall like meal planning tips and more weeknight recipes and even more baking recipes to inspire you to be creative in the kitchen!
Honey Whole-Wheat Bread
Note: You can definitely double this recipe, but I prefer to make just one loaf at a time.
3 tablespoons honey
1 3/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon coarse salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted/ plus more for greasing pan and bowl
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer, stir the honey, warm water and yeast together. Let stand until foamy about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and the salt and stir together. Add the melted butter and stir until the dough forms. Knead until smooth, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large buttered bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled, about 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Punch down dough. Shape into an 8 inch square, about 1 inch thick. fold in two opposite sides to meet in the middle, overlapping slightly ( shape into a loaf ). Press the seam to seal. Place the seam side down into the prepare pan. You can dust the top with a bit of flour if you want. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot to 3/4 inch above the top of pan, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to oven and immediately reduce heat to 350. Bake rotating halfway through, until top is golden and bottom sounds hollow when tapped about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes then turn the bread onto a wire rack and let completely. Bread can be stored at room temperature for 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.