This hearty entree is delicious and easy to prepare in your slow cooker!
Do you love or hate your slow cooker? In the summertime I have come to find a few recipes that I make and my family enjoys! This recipe is one of them!
You can enjoy these with warm tortillas or put the shredded pork on top of lettuce and have a southwestern salad! These are not your authentic carnitas with crispy sides, but you can add the extra step at the end to broil the meat to make it more crispy. The reason why I love this recipe is that it uses fresh ingredients and turns it into something you can serve to company! This is juicy and flavorful thanks to the long slow cook. You might want to even think ahead and make a double recipe. It reheats great from frozen. A freezer stash if this ensures a quick dinner down the road.
Slow Cooker Carnitas
1 boneless pork butt roast or loin ( 3 to 4 pounds )
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice or more chicken broth
2 cans 4 ounces each chopped green chilies
1. Cut the roast in half, place in a 5 qt slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic, oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Add the onions, salsa, cilantro, broth, orange juice, and chilies.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or meat is tender.
4. Remove meat, cool slightly. You can either shred or place in an oven safe pan and broil for 3 to 4 minutes until crispy and flip and do on the other side. You want some juice and crispy edges.
5. Serve warm with tortillas, lettuce leaves, salsa, sour cream and what ever else you like on your tacos.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home